Monday, August 7, 2017

7 Super Spices for Health




And why I use them!

You guys, I am a big believer in the famous quote from Hippocrates, "Let thy food be thy medicine, let thy medicine be thy food.

Let me also say, I AM NOT a doctor. I am just a lover of natural health and healing. I am not claiming that any of the spices below will cure any diseases you may have. I am simply telling you about the health benefits that I have read about. That is all. 

 I have been taking spices in capsule form for a few years now and I have done a lot (seriously, a freaking lot) of reading about spices. I am not boring at all. 

 I've listened to numerous YouTube videos from nutritionist, herbalist, naturepathic Drs. etc. The same spices kept coming up. Some are not even spices at all! Like blue algae.... ahh, oh well. You get what I am trying to say, right? 
Okay, now on to the "spices" (wink, wink). Just go with it.


My first and favorite is Turmeric! Holy moly this stuff is awesome.  

I struggle with anxiety. I'm not sure why or how it even starts but I sure feel it when it happens. Anyone else get this? My heart feels like it's being ripped from my body. I can't breath very well. I start panicking because​ I can't breath. Yea..... Well, turmeric is a natural Prozac. (Yep, you heard me right!) Exciting, I know!! I buy it in bulk at my local health food store and make my own capsules, 
that look like this.


Subscribe to our page for my next post about how to make your own!

What does it really do? This stuff is legit. There have been 1000's of studies and some wonderful information has come to light. My favorite reason, which I already mentioned, is the use as an Antidepressant (Prozac). Here are some others:

  • Has the ability to control inflammation. AKA arthritis
  • Helps naturally kill cancer cells! (What!!!!) It is especially effective at treating breast cancer, colon cancer and skin cancer.
  •  Helps reverse Type 2 Diabetes 
  • Studies show Turmeric treats Arthritis BETTER than traditional medications
  • Anticoagulant 
  • Replaces Corticosteroids for things like Rheumatoid Arthritis (no side affects!)
  • Treats IBS, Crohn’s disease, and Ulcerative Colitis
  •  Legitimate Natural Pain Killer 
  • Regulates cholesterol better than conventional medication (like Lipitor) with NO side effects. 
Amazing stuff right?
So go get some already, like today. 

On to the next! Number 2 on my list has to be Garlic. Most of yends (that's another word for Y'all in Ozark) already know garlic is a super spice/food so I'll keep this short and sweet.


  • Great source of antioxidants!  In human terms antioxidants protect the body from damage from free radicals. Google free radicals if you don't know what they are, I am not a science teacher. (ha!).
  • The active ingredients in garlic can help lower blood pressure.
  • Improves cholesterol levels, which may lower the risk of heart disease.
  • Improves athletic performance by combating fatigue.
  • Can help remove heavy metals in the body. It contains sulfur containing compounds that are said to activate liver enzymes responsible for detoxification.
  • It can be used as an antibiotic to treat bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections. Diluted garlic extract may help children with tapeworm infections!
  • Cancer Prevention! It is said to strengthen the immunity of the body against cancer.
  •  Rubbing crushed garlic extract on your scalp or massaging with garlic-infused oil is known to prevent and even  reverse hair loss.
  • Applying garlic topically can provide relief from skin ailments like eczema and psoriasis.
There are more I could list, but for the sake of keeping this blog post from turning into a book, Ill stop here. 

3. CINNAMON! 

Beautiful, delicious, amazing, wonderful cinnamon! Not only does it taste amazing, it smells amazing and it has so many wonderful healing properties. Make sure you buy your cinnamon from a local health food store. The larger retail chains don't always have the best options for good cinnamon. They will add fillers like flour. Yuck. 
  • Eases stomach bug
  • Protects against heart disease
  • Improves colon functioning
  • Improves blood circulation
  • Boosts brain function
  •  Controls blood sugar
  •  May help prevents Cancer
  • Treats respiratory infections (winter is coming!!)
  • Reduces bad cholesterol
You can also make your own tablets. I prefer to sprinkle it into pancakes, coffee, yogurt etc 

4. Ginger Root


Part of the plant family, the uses for ginger are extraordinary! It comes from an underground stem that grows horizontally and forms roots. It is a highy potent antioxidant and anti inflammatory agent. The research backs up the claims. Its been used for thousands of years! Here are a few reasons why YOU need to use it more
  • Suffer from arthritis? Know someone who does? Make them some ginger pills! 
  • Diabetic? Take a ginger supplement or eat some ginger candy, or drink some ginger tea. It helps protect against and reverse diabetes. Google it...
  • Do you need to take a pain killer daily? Try ginger instead. it works very similar in the body to unnatural pain killers. Ladies, I am talking to you here. Ginger also works to relieve menstrual cycle cramps and inflammation (I know, RIGHT!). 
  • Fungal Infections can be treated with ginger essential oils (powerful stuff).
  • Lets talk about nutrient absorption for a sec, k. Ginger root may help your body actually absorb more nutrients and minerals then it ever would on its own. Amazing.
  • Ginger extract lowers LDL cholesterol  
  • If you use Ginger regularly you could keep your body safe from stroke and heart disease.
  • Got a tummy ache? Ginger. Feeling nauseous? Ginger! It helps the stomach by pushing whatever is making you feel yuck, into the small intestines. Bloated? Ginger. Constipated? Ginger!!
  • Boosts the immune system by breaking down toxins in your organs. 
  • Ginger can and has cured stomach Ulcers and acid reflex! 
There are so many more things I could list. I feel as though you should be convinced by now. Ginger essential oils is the most potent way to take or use ginger. You can also cook with it, drink ginger tea, make ginger capsule, eat ginger candy etc

5. Cayenne Pepper



Not used to just spice things up anymore. Cayenne pepper has a ton of health benefits and the first one is my fav. 
  • Boost metabolism and curves appetite! Yes, you read that right. It will and does effectively suppress hunger and stabilize your glucose levels. I think I am in love. 
  • It does contain anti-fungal and anti-cancer properties. Lots of studies. Google it....
  • Do you have a nasty skin condition called Psoriasis? Well, good news! Several studies have showed a significant decrease in scaling and redness from a cayenne pepper cream! 
  • I know several friends and family members who suffer from migraine headaches. Cayenne Pepper to the rescue. It works by confusing your pain receptors. Really quite interesting. 
  • Cayenne pepper stimulates the digestive system and allows it to work properly and more efficiently.
  • It can also help prevent cold and flu, which I think should be obvious since it clearly has some kind of magical powers.
6. Cumin


Let me first say that I love the smell and taste of cumin. I am a Mexican food junkie and I would (if my family would let me) eat Mexican food every single day. Alas, I have three kids and a husband who actually want to eat things like Alfredo pasta and Chicken Curry. The nerve. 
 How amazing is cumin? It (like all the other spices I already mentioned) has been used for thousands of years in medicinal ways. Here is my list of a few benefits and more reasons to love this yummy stuff.
  • Improves blood cholesterol. There have been multiple studies done using Cumin supplements.
  • Promotes weight loss! Again, hurray!!! Higher does may be required.
  • Helps fight inflammation of the body.
  • Helps people who suffer with Diabetes 
  • High in Iron and other plant compounds and essential minerals. Which (hello!) helps your body in a million ways. 
  • Helps boost your bodies immunity
  • Can aid in the treatment of bronchitis and asthma.
  • May offer liver protection by preventing changes in the phospholipid fatty acid in the liver. 
  • Improves cognitive function, aka, people who suffer with Alzheimer's or dementia
I make my own enchilada sauce with cumin (let me know if you want my recipe and I will do a blog post just for you!). I also use it when making tacos, fajitas, chili and just about any Mexican related dish. I buy all my spices in bulk at the local health food store here in town. Just a little FYI there. Even though I've already said that like 3 times. 

7. Chlorella



I know, I know, this isn't a spice. I had to include it because its one of my favorite supplements. I love making my own capsules of this stuff.  I find it super hard to get in my daily recommendation of leafy greens every day so, this is another option! It is a super rich superfood native to Japan and Taiwan. It contains chlorophyll, biotin, amino acids, magnesium, phosphorus, beta-carotene and b vitamins to name a few. It looks just like Spirulina as it is a green powdery substance that smells like the ocean (ya know, kinda seaweed-y). I may need to do a post solely about Chlorella. It is that good. On to the list!
  • Want to look younger...? duh  It slows the aging process! Yes, you read that right!!It Greatly reduces oxidative stress! 
  • Lowers blood sugar levels 
  • Fights cancer cells 
  • Promotes weight loss by reducing body fat percentages!
  • Know somebody you love who has gone through radiation or Chemotherapy? Yea, me too. I hate it.  Chlorella has been show to remove radioactive particles from the body and AND protect the body against ultraviolet radiation. Thank ya Jesus!! 
Know you see why I HAD to add this one on my list!? I buy my chlorella in bulk at our locally owned health food store. Use it in you smoothies or take a few capsules!

I know I didn't cover all the amazing spices that are available and super healthy and healing. Did I miss one of you favs? Do you have any awesome recipes or suggestions on how to use any of these spices? Let us know in the comments below. Do not forget to subscribe so you never miss a post. 

Love y'all!
Amber
p.s. Go Royals!!

   











4 comments:

  1. Great post Amber! I use almost all of these. My favs are cinnamon which I put in my oatmeal and coffee and cumin! I will have to try the Chlorella, who doesn't want to look younger! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete