Saturday, May 27, 2017

Irresistible Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes

Irresistibly fluffy and super yummy healthy vanilla cupcakes. 

This recipe is just a simple vanilla cupcake recipe that I changed to make a little healthier. 

I love cupcakes. My kids love cupcakes. Everyone I know loves cupcakes!! 
Who doesn't love cupcakes? I mean, seriously. 

When I cook or bake, I try my best to switch up any ingredients I can in the recipes to make whatever I'm cooking better my family. I have growing kids at home and I don't want their bodies full of junk all the time!!

I am by no means a "health freak" and no, I don't always feed my kids healthy food. I know these cupcakes aren't vegan or gluten free or freakishly healthy in some other way and ya know what

That's okay with me. 

I am just a mom who is trying to do better at feeding her family by switching up some ingredients in normal everyday recipes that I find in cookbooks or on Pinterest or wherever! 

Now, on to the cupcakes!!!
I don't use "real" sugar when I make these. I love coconut sugar and you can substitute it on a 1:1 ratio. Which means you can use it exactly like regular sugar. Say what! Yep, I said it.


I find the best deal on coconut sugar at Sam's. I live in the southern part of Missouri and we don't have Costco. I'd kill for a Costco...  Seriously. 
Costco....ya hear me. What do I need to do?? Huh?? Would you please come to the Ozarks already?!?!

So, anyhooo
The "sugar" is made from the palm of the coconut tree. 
Coconut sugar is also sometimes called coconut palm sugar. It's made from the sap of the coconut plant!

It's a two step process. 

A cut is made in the flower of the coconut palm so that the sap or liquid can be collected and then it's heated up till the water evaporates. 

You end up with something that looks like this:


It's. So. Good.

Coconut Sugar also contains some key vitamins and minerals like Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Potassium, along with antioxidants, short chain fatty acids and polyphenols!   

The original recipe calls for white sugar.  I just use coconut. However, if you are still a tiny bit afraid just use half and half. I've also done that when I was running low on coconut sugar. 

Replace the butter with coconut oil 1:1

And use pink Himalayan sea salt instead of regular salt. 
Like, always. ❤️



 Seriously, don't use iodized salt.
 There's nothing good left in it after all the processing and chemical adding (that's why it's only​ $.50). Read more here:

I love, LOVE, luuuuuvvvvv, this vanilla. It's REAL vanilla not a fake imitation. Just the smell of it makes me all happy inside. And as life will teach you, ain't nothing good that's fake. 
Am I right?! Huh? Yep. 
Did I tell you I love this vanilla?


There are so many options out there for changing up a simple cake recipe and making it healthier. This isn't the only way and it probably isn't the best way but we sure LOVE them. 
If you try them out let us know. 

We love ya!
Amber


 Coconut Oil Vanilla Cupcakes


PRINT RECIPE

Coconut Sugar Cupcakes
Delicious cupcakes made using Coconut Oil and Coconut sugar
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Coconut Oil
  • 1.5 Cups Coconut Sugar
  • 4 or 6 egg whites Eggs, large
  • 1 Tablespoon Bourbon Vanilla
  • 2 3/4 Cup Cake Flour or All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
  • 1 Cup Milk, any kind will work
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F Lightly grease or line your cupcake pan 
2. In a large bowl beat the oil and sugar together for about 3 mins or until nice and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
3. Beat in the vanilla
4. Combine, in a separate bowl, the dry ingredients Flour, baking powder and Salt Stir with a whisk to mix
5. Add the dry ingredients to the oil/sugar mixture and alternate with the milk, mixing well after each addition
6. Fill the cupcake pan 2/3 full and bake for 23-25 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool and frost with your fav frosting!
Details

Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment