Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Making Time for Faith and Fitness

Mom life can be stressful! Here is how De from FaithFueled Moms combines faith and fitness to cope with stress.



It’s been one of those days with three girls taking you in three different directions, and your life can seem like a blur.  It can also become stressful and overwhelming, and that is when I take my anxieties, unrest, and chaos to the gym.  A good hour away with nothing but focusing on reps and rest is what I need to be the best I can be. It hasn’t always been the case that I have justified taking an hour to myself for anything until I began using other things to deal with the life.  Things like cupcakes and brownies or sitting and watching an entire season of my favorite show. Even a glass of wine just after I put the last Lil diva to bed.  All my coping mechanisms for stress never worked. It was temporary distractions for moments of time. It wasn’t until I found a physical outlet that I needed to stay sane.  


Lately, my life has been more busy than usual, and life has continued to go on, so the day to day responsibilities still exist.  Although, I cling to God, often these are the times that we do one of two things. Try to go it on your own or rely on God to see you through. I have been both and the girl who tried to go it on her own. Made unhealthy choices, used food for comfort instead of God and sat around indulging in the drama of television or social media instead of doing things to better the situation.  Now I cope differently, despite my busyness I have some priorities that must happen in my life to make sure that I honor God and my temple which helps me serve my family.




How I cope with stress:

1. Daily Devotion- If I don’t have time for God than I have my priorities messed up.  Whether it is 15 minutes or 2 hours, I need, crave, and desire that time to grow in my faith and find His peace every day. It has been an amazing way for me to cope with overwhelming concerns or anticipation of crazy days.  Each day brings a lesson that I can apply some way some how.


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33


2. Eat Right- If I feel bad and eat bad it doesn’t make me feel better, so than why?  I came to that realization as I was half way through a bag of potato chips one day.  The chips were good, don’t get me wrong, but I could have found a better option that makes me physically feel better later that doesn’t include the automatic thought responses of negative or guilty feelings.  Grace and guilt can’t live in the same house.  When I eat the things that God has given to fuel my body I never feel bad afterwards, so I really try to do that as often as I can. Although, I may fall from grace some days, the more I make the right decision the easier it is to do it the next time. God gives a very detailed list of what we can eat (found in Genesis and Leviticus)  and I am almost positive chips weren’t on it.

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit.  You shall have them for food." Genesis 1:29


"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything." Genesis 9:3


3. Move- For me I love to lift weights, some people love to dance, others love to run, there’s bowling, skating, surfing, swimming, tennis, basketball, or softball. I really can’t think of any more, but there are so many things that you can do that interest you, so do that.  Find a really fun hobby that allows you to get your heart beating and become a part time passion.  


"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." Romans 12:1

4. Chill Daily- for 30 minutes.  Have some time where you can be you for a moment in peace and rest in Christ.  I know it’s hard for mom’s, but ask for help. Ask someone in your life to give you 30 minutes of peace daily so that you can be the best mom you can be.  You can even include your family and go for a leisurely stroll.  Taking time to unwind healthily will reduce stress hormones in your body and help you to feel better and do better in all that you do.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28


5. Pray- I first thought to leave this out because it is a given, but sometimes it’s not. Sometimes you’re in the moment and the last thing you WANT to do is pray but that is when you need to most.  

"Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5:17

This world is hard and that is why God has given us the support we need.  He has given us the permission to give Him our worries and problems.  Taking time daily to honor Him and the walking temple He has given us is a way that I have found peace in stressful times.  


I am so honored to have De on my blog today! I hope that you will check her out and show her some love!

Follow De:

Facebook
Instagram

Check out De's blog FaithFueled Moms.

2 comments: