Friday, January 13, 2017

Why Goals are Important

I think it is safe to say we all have goals in life. They may be financial, career-orientated, physical/health, and family related.

When it comes to your health and wellness, do you have any goals for the new year? Maybe you want to have more energy to be more productive or to keep up with your family, lose weight, run more races, become stronger and or increase your speed or mileage.



Webster's Dictionary defines the word "goal" as the end toward which effort is directed. Our goals help direct us on our journey of either challenging ourselves or accomplishing greater things.

As a Certified Health Coach, I always do a goal setting session with my clients at the beginning of my program implementation. Putting pen to paper with your goals has the power to motivate and help create a bigger picture of what you want to accomplish. Once you have your goal(s), you can start planning the steps to reach it/them.

It is important to make your goals meaningful.  What I mean by this, is that goals should be  more specific and personal, and less generic like "I want to feel healthier." This is an important goal but what do you mean by this? Do you want to start eating less take out and cook  at home most days of the weeks. Do you want to start exercising three days a week or lose 10 pounds? Do you create certain habits to improve your health or fitness?

Are you feeling overwhelmed at the thought of accomplishing your goals? Remember, big changes come from small goals. Larger long term goals can be broken down into smaller short term goals. Smaller goals help paint a larger picture, but are more manageable and are stepping stones on the road map of your journey. Success is the result of small achievements over time. Will power and motivation may be fleeting, but if you keep your eye on the next step instead of the finish line, you can get there!

For more motivation on reaching your goals, check out my friends Ivanna Marie's blog post, "How to Finally Reach Your Goals" or this post, "Make Your Resolutions Stick" by my friend De at FaithFueledMoms.

What are your goals for 2017?

Some of my goals are:

1. Read my Bible and pray more to allow God to direct my steps rather than trying to do it all on my own.
2. Be more present and intentional with my family by setting time aside with no distractions to create meaningful memories.
3. Have more energy and feel healthier by making my health more of a priority and setting time aside for self care.
4. Improve my 50k time before my November race.
5. Get more organized in my business and blogging.
6. Book more speaking engagements to help make a greater impact on my community.
7. Not to lose my mind with a teen and pre-teen in the house.

How can I help you with reaching your goals?

5 comments:

  1. I love your last goal. I was just going to concede and lose my mind lol Great tips and suggestions. Also, thanks for the mention xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, the struggle is real lately! Thanks and any time De!:)

      Delete
    2. Lol, the struggle is real lately! Thanks and any time De!:)

      Delete
  2. I love your last goal. I was just going to concede and lose my mind lol Great tips and suggestions. Also, thanks for the mention xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete