Monday, October 31, 2016

Fueling for the Christian Race

Just like a runner needs to fuel at certain times during long runs to give them energy, a Christian needs to feed from the Word of God, especially during the stresses of life that can drain us from energy and the will power to stay strong in our faith.

 
When I do not fuel properly during a run I hit a mental wall. My blood sugar is zapped and my whole body feels weak and sluggish. The glucose in my muscles is used up and I crash hard. It is hard to go on and I want to quit. I start giving into the negative thoughts going through my mind. My energy is gone, and I feel like I am dragging myself through quick stand. Sometimes I can become light headed depending on how long I was running without fuel.  I can only go on before I can’t go another step.

Our Christian race is the same way. We may feel that going on Sunday feels up our spiritual reserve for the week. Can we really strengthen our faith and stay strong if we are not fueling from God’s word during the week? We are constantly being bombarded with worldly influences and the stresses of life. After a while, we can hit a “Spiritual Wall.”

The Bible commands us to run the race with endurance, to walk and not faint. If we are not feasting on the Holy Manna, his Word, our tank becomes empty and we try to run our race with nothing to fuel us. We end up in a spiritual slump or finally just give up.

Our life is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Just like runners need to fuel for long distances, we need to fuel for our Christian walk.

 Bible reading, daily meditation on his Word, and time alone in prayer helps strengthen us when life seems dark, trying, or hard to deal with. It fuels our race and helps us stand steadfast. It keeps us from growing weary and wanting to throw in the towel. It enables us to take another step.

Life throws us so many curve balls. I know that my willpower is temporary and I can handle those curveballs better when I have a closer walk with my Savior. When I fuel on his Word, it provides me with strength to carry on. When I don’t, I lose Spiritual stamina and faith.

 Philippians 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for this! So often we get "busy" and try to live this life on our own. I love this reminder to stay fueled up on God's word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true! When I don't fuel up on his word, I am really miserable!

      Delete
  2. WOW! I literally hit a wall yesterday (Even wrote about it) and I felt like my emptiness was from my rushed devotions in the morning with God. I have put too much in my life and not made enough time for God it has effected me spiritually, relation ally, physically, and mentally. I realized that I no longer have a relationship where I just want God in my life. I absolutely need Him in my life every second of the day. He fills me up and fuels me. This is such an on time post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how God works! Sadly, I found my self suffering from the busyness syndrome lately. It wore me down and I did not feel at peace. Trying to make time with him a priority.

      Delete