Friday, June 17, 2016

I was in Denial

Did you know that small steps add up to create big change? Don't think so, please learn from my mistakes.


Confession time: I used to have struggles with late night snacking (like all the time, even when I wasn't hungry). I would put the kids to bed and settle down on the couch with my husband with our herbal tea and gourmet chocolate. Don't get me wrong, I am all about treating yourself. The problem is, I consumed way more before bed time and later in the day than I should. We are talking about king size amounts here.

This was hard for me. For crying out loud, don't I deserve to lose my self in my rich and creamy chocolate for getting through the day?! Its only chocolate! Really! The problem with late night snacking was the timing and that I was consuming more than I needed. But wait, you already know that I am not a big advocate of the counting calories approach (it does have it's place), what I am talking about is mindful eating. When your watching TV and vegging out for the night, you are not being mindful of what you are eating. Your body is seeking a pleasure rush and your get cravings for sugar and fatty foods, so that you can get that dopamine release. Sugar makes you crave more and well....

You see, I was in denial. I had gained some weight, not a lot, but I was feeling more tired and icky. The clothes were getting tighter. Yes, I am a Health Coach, but I am also a busy entrepreneur, wife, and mother of three. I have my struggles just like you do. Stress has a way of doing that to you.

Two issues arouse from this late night snacking, that I was in denial of until I changed those habits. (Disclaimer: If you are hungry don't starve your self. But what you eat makes an impact, so eat this for better sleep.)

1. Eating after 8 p.m. can actually disrupt your sleep cycle. You probably already know this from the post mentioned above. The purpose of this post is to be real with you. I understand your struggles and also know first hand that small changes can make a big difference. I want you to learn from my mistakes! I was shocked at the quality of sleep I got when I was mindful of what I ate at night.

2. My clothes started fitting better again and I lost 7 pounds. I didn't work out more or starve my self to lose weight. I didn't count calories or go on a diet.  I lost the weight because I got my late night snacking in check. Do I still snack after 8 p.m., yes on special occasions and if I am hungry, but usually I save the occasional treats or earlier in the day. After all, I am a big fan of moderation. A healthy lifestyle should not create more stress or cause you to be a slave to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment