Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 9 Half Marathon Training: Fighting the Burn Out Blues

Can I be honest with you? Its week 9 of my half marathon training. Its starting to get mentally tough for me. My long runs are scheduled for Sundays since Saturdays are full of Tae Kwon Do practice and soccer games. As a mom of three it is challenging to find the time to run. Now that my oldest daughter has to get up at 6 a.m. to get ready fro school, early morning runs are harder to do when I go to bed late or have problems sleeping.


Life has gotten in the way quite a bit during the last few weeks. The heat has been another thing. It is mentally and physically exhausting to get out there and run when its 93-97° outside. I have had to cut a few of my longer runs short and finish on the treadmill. Between trying to squeeze my training in and fulfill my duties as chauffer, wife, mother of 3, house keeper, etc., and running in the heat and humidity, running is starting to become less fun for me. Running up to 15 miles on a 1.25 loop (due to a city with few sidewalks and running places) has also started to finally get to me after training for 4 half marathons. It is not as fun anymore. I would drive to other locations for my runs if I was not already in a time crunch. Many times I am out on the trail loop after it gets dark and there are always some workers who drive around, park, and drive around until you leave since the path is supposed to be closed at sunset. Long treadmill runs require Netflix and music to get me through.


 
On the other path I run but not in the dark since I have heard rumors of homeless people bedding down for the night in there
Don't get me wrong, I know it will be worth it when I cross the finish line knowing that I have overcame many hurdles to get to where I am. I dream of the finish line. But I am at the point where my goal of beating my PR by at least 5 minutes seems silly and pointless. I just want to run the race in September and enjoy running it, not to be worried about pace or time.


I know that I will get over this slump as I always do, but right now I am just trying to remind myself why I started in the first place. I am tough, I will overcome, and even the bad runs make me a better and stronger person.


Remember when I told you about the 500 Mile club, I registered for? I am finally getting closer to hitting my 500 mile mark. I am currently at 450.50 miles. I have only 49.50 miles to run by September 23rd. I may not have the most miles but I will meet my goal, and with my hectic schedule, I am happy with that.

Are you training for something right now? What do you do when you start to feel burnt out? How do you balance running and life?

6 comments:

  1. Girl, I'm right there with you. Starting to get totally burnt out from marathon training!! I think it's totally a phase in training that everyone hits at some point. I've tried to really add a variety of crosstraining to help with it!! We'll get through it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! It will pass, hopefully it passes quickly. Good luck on your training. I am not up to marathons yet, and I thought a half was hard! You rock!

      Delete
  2. I'm not currently training, but when I was training for my first half I took a whole week off. I wasn't injured or anything... I was just not feeling it! Good luck with the rest of your training... You can get through this burnout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! Sometimes it does a body good to take a break!

      Delete
  3. I think finding a balance is hard some days and there are times when I question why I put myself through trying to do it all but on the days when I have a good run and feel accomplished after, it reminds me why I started in the first place!

    ReplyDelete