Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Turtle Trying to Be a Hare


Tuesday, I felt like I was a turtle trying to be a hare. It was my first full track workout since high school! I am not slow but maintaining higher speeds for any duration of time is difficult for me. I decided that if I wanted to knock at least 5 minutes off my PR, I needed to get more serious about my training.



It is hard to be motivated when you have no one to be accountable to. I do not have a running partner (my husband works long hours now), am not part of a running group, and do not have a running coach. I am my own coach. I run when I can get a chance, and many times can't run in the morning or wait until it cools down. When I arrived at the track, it was 98°. I do not recommend running in this type of heat, unless you are acclimated to it, which I am to an extent. I try to run as little as possible on the treadmill, because I feel as though treadmill running affects my stride and form.

My whole body felt so heavy, and I wanted to quit or shorten my intervals several times, but I didn't. My legs felt like lead. Even though I am used to the heat, it affected my speed. I also realized that I had made a huge mistake. I had not eaten anything all morning and it was now lunch time! My large bottle of watered down sports drink was my saving grace as I sipped from it in-between intervals.



My times were slow but now I have something to go off of and to improve.

400   (warm up and recovery in between intervals)
400    1.54
600    2.43
800    4.22
1200  6.39
800    4.13
600    2.42
400   (recovery)


After my workout I made a wonderful protein smoothie with EAS Recovery Protein blended with banana, spinach and flax seed. This is one of my go-to products after a hard workout (full review of the Recovery Protein coming soon).

Its getting hot out there! Do you run in the heat or take your workout indoors? Does the heat affect your speed?



2 comments:

  1. I prefer to run outdoors instead of on the treadmill. Last year I ran all year long so my body acclimated to the heat and the change in seasons. This winter was harsh for us so I spent time on the treadmill then I got injured so it was hard accllimated when I got back to running.

    Yes, heat does affect your speed. You should expect to slow down in the summer. Your body heats up when you run, and when the weather is warmer, your body works harder to cool down. So your blood flow actually works hard to cool your skin. If you don't take the heat into consideration and push yourself to run as fast as you normally would in the cooler months, then the demand for oxygen to your muscles pulls the blood flow to your skin for cooling down. You're pretty much starting a tug of war inside your body. If you're body cannot cool down, then you become overheated.

    Don't be discouraged. :) Everyone has slower times in the summer. Great job for getting out on the track!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense! You explained it so well, you should write a blog post about it :). Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete