Saturday, June 21, 2014

2 Natural Alternatives to Sports Drinks You Can Make at Home

Today is the official first day of Summer! The days are getting hotter and I start to sweat buckets during my runs. When you sweat, you lose important electrolytes such as sodium and potassium. It is important to replenish those electrolytes to maintain both fluid balance and transmission of nerve impulses, and to aid with muscle contraction.


Anything other than PowerAde messes my stomach up. While I do enjoy the sugary stuff, I have been on a mission to replace the chemical and artificial dyed, high fructose corn syrup drink with more natural alternatives. This weekend I played around with a few recipes and hoped they passed the taste test. There is no added sugar to the recipes so they are not as sweet as traditional sports drinks.  However, the recipes resulted in very subtle and refreshing drinks.

Watermelon and Coconut Sports Drink


The recipe actually made slightly more than the pictures shows. I snuck a glass before I took the picture ;).

1/4 seedless watermelon (I pulsed mine in a magic bullet until liquefied)
1 large can (16.5 fl. oz.) coconut water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup of water

(Coconut water contains potassium)

Orange/Pineapple/Coconut

A little bit of the orange pulp got in the drink hence the pieces you see.

Juice from 2 large oranges
Pineapple juice (taken from a 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks)
1 large can (16.5 fl. oz.) coconut water
1/2 tsp. salt

I took the watermelon drink with me on my hot/humid 4 mile run. I chugged the drink during my run which was refreshing and very gentle on my stomach.

After the kids came home from playing at the pool all day, they drank up all the pineapple/orange concoction. It was kid approved! I may have found some new alternative for PowerAde.
Fun facts:
1 cups of orange juice (from concentrate) equals 400 milligrams of potassium.
1 liter of sweat contains a gram of sodium.
Have you played around in the kitchen with making your own sports drinks? Feel fry to try my recipes out and tell me what you think, or try these recipes I found on Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. These are great! Sounds very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The plus is that the kids really enjoyed them too!

      Delete