Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mothers, How Are You Inspiring Your Children

Mothers are very special people. Mothers wear so many hats and do so many things for their family. We nurture others but forget to nurture ourselves. Mothers who take time to nurture and take care of themselves can also end up inspiring their children.


Our children look to us for guidance and dissect our every move from day one. We may not notice the impact we have on them, but they are watching. What type of lessons do we teach our children by leading by example?

Running has taught me so many things, but my running has also taught my children valuable lessons as well. They have seen how hard work and perseverance pays off. They have seen my at my best and at my worst, yet I still put one foot in front of the other. They have seen me dream and chase my goals. They have seen and have even experienced it themselves; that progress takes time, to be patient and not give up.

Training for a 5k
I have had the privilege to run with my children several times. My son has even been bitten by the "running bug" and wants to run a half marathon with me when he gets older.

Received first place in his age division!
I hope that through their running and other sports that they participant in, they have learned discipline, that they have tasted the joy that hard work can bring when you accomplish your goal.

Taken before she was promoted to high yellow!

Hailing and snowing (in May!) on us during her first race!
 
Mothers, how are you inspiring your children?

6 comments:

  1. What a great message for your kids. I think setting an example of perseverance is huge for kids. They need to know that things won't always be easy, but that doesn't mean you should give up. I hope to pass that on to my own kids one day (no kids yet!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, thank you! There are so many negative role models in the world today. I hope that I can continue to be a good role model for them so that they can be good role models for their children.

      Delete
  2. I make it a priority for my daughter and I to go to the gym together regularly-she goes to the supervised kids programs while I work out. My hope is that exercise will always be a part of her typical routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you are getting her involved but are also setting a good example for her to follow!

      Delete
  3. I used to worry about all the time I was spending away from them but then I realized that I was showing them what a healthy woman is. "Mommy going for a run isn't mommy being selfish, it's mommy being awesome!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I have to remind myself that sometimes!

      Delete