Friday, February 14, 2014

For the Love of the Run


I have been a runner for a long time. I started running Cross Country in 6th Grade. I started off slow as a turtle but progressively got faster over the years. I continued to run all through Junior High and High School. Then I joined the Navy, and continued running. I meet my husband and we would go running and to the gym together. Shortly after, I became pregnant with my daughter. I became busy being a mom. Three children later, and several years have passed, and I felt like I would no longer be able to run. Pregnancy was not kind on my bladder. I could not laugh, sneeze, dance, or even run to the end of the drive way without leaking. I tried going to the bathroom first but that would not help I became depressed. That was when I decided to be proactive. I was tired of being worn out all the time, I needed to get back in shape (I lost all my baby weight but I was not in shape). Running was always therapy for me, helped make me think more clearly, and gave me more energy. I needed to be happy and feel healthy. I needed to make changes.

My husband bought me a treadmill and I started walking slowly. A little while later, I had surgery to lift my bladder. Running was hard at first. Every muscle and joint in my body was tight and ached. Just running down the road made my lungs burn and I was so sore for days. It was not fun and at first I was discouraged, so my husband bought me an MP3 player to listen to when I ran. That helped some. So I stuck with it. Slowly I began to enjoy it again. I even run without music now and find that I am more in tuned with my body and surroundings (unless I am on the treadmill, staring at my white basement wall. I have to have my music to help pass the time).

Running is an outlet to help me release stress, bitterness, discouragement, and depression. There is nothing like the feel of my arms and legs pumping me through a run, to feel strong, confident, and on top of the world. Running is my therapy and through running; I have learned so much about myself. I have grown spiritually, mentally, and physically. I crave the run and like a loved one; I miss it (the feel of running) when circumstances do not allow me to go for a run. Some days are harder than others, but I love running! It empowers me, and strengthens my resolve.

 
Source of picture unknown (to me). Taken off of Tumbler.


2 comments:

  1. What an uplifting post! I agree, running is so therapeutic. My soon to be mother in law recently got back in the running game after thinking she never would again. 10-15 years ago she was a 5 mile a day girl. Now she is going strong at 2 and 1/2 miles a day and working up to longer. I am so proud and in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebecca! Good for her! It is very hard to come back to running after so long. Wishing her the best!

    ReplyDelete